Covid-19: England new four-week lockdown
England will begin a month-long lockdown on Thursday - with Boris Johnson saying acting now could allow families to spend Christmas together.
Pubs, restaurants, gyms, non-essential shops and places of worship will close, but schools, colleges and universities can stay open.
The announcement has sparked anger from some Tory MPs, and business leaders have warned of a "bleak midwinter".
Mr Johnson is expected to deliver a statement in the Commons on Monday.
MPs will vote on the latest restrictions on Wednesday, and Labour has indicated it will back the lockdown.
But writing in the Sunday Telegraph, former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith accused the prime minister of "giving in to the scientific advisers".
Sir Iain said the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) had "pressurised" the government into taking this decision, with its members "publicly lecturing" the government.
He urged Mr Johnson not to continue "encouraging businesses to reopen only to force them to lock down again".
Under the new restrictions:
- People are being told to stay at home except for specific reasons
- These include work which cannot be done from home, childcare or education, exercise outdoors, medical reasons, essential shopping, providing care for vulnerable people or for volunteering, and visiting members of your support bubble
- Meeting indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed, but individuals can meet one other person from another household outside in a public place
- Non-essential retail will close, but can remain open for click-and-collect delivery
- Pubs, bars, restaurants must close, but can still provide takeaway and delivery, excluding takeaway of alcohol
- Indoor and outdoor leisure facilities, such as gyms and swimming pools, will also close, along with entertainment venues and personal care facilities such as beauty salons
- Places of worship will close, unless they are being used for funerals, to broadcast acts of worship, individual prayer, formal childcare, or essential services such as blood donation or food banks
- Construction sites and manufacturing workplaces can remain open
- Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies cannot take place except in exceptional circumstances, and funerals will be limited to a maximum of 30 people
- Children can move between homes if their parents are separated
- Clinically vulnerable people are asked to be "especially careful" but people are not being asked to resume shielding
- Overnight stays, staying in a second home, and holidays will not be allowed - including in the UK and abroad - although there are exceptions, such as work trips
- People should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport
Hours before the furlough scheme was due to end, the government said that it would be extended until December, covering 80% of employee wages.
Dame Carolyn Fairbairn, Confederation of British Industry director general, said extending furlough was a "vital step", adding that affordable mass testing would be the "game-changer" for businesses, enabling more companies to stay open.
She said: "For many businesses, a second national lockdown marks the start of a bleak midwinter."
Both the chief executive of the British Retail Consortium, Helen Dickinson, and the chief executive of the New West End Company, Jace Tyrrell, described the lockdown as a "nightmare before Christmas".
Meanwhile, travel firms have warned of a "complete shutdown" across the industry when England goes into lockdown again and have called for the government to support the sector.
2022-04-26Are air purifiers environmentally friendly ?
2022-04-26The importance of wearing a mask correctly
2022-04-27Connexions Air H13 True HEPA Filters
2022-04-29What is the use of anion function of air purifier？
2022-05-08Standardize the wearing of masks, children should not be missed!
2022-05-16Hazy days, air purifiers are useful?
2022-05-16Attention everyone! Don't buy fake FFP2 masks! How do we identify?
2022-05-17Pay attention to secondary pollution when using air purifiers
2022-05-17TOP5 pollutants that the purifier can purify
2020-06-02Why do Face Masks Matter With This Coronavirus
2020-06-02How to Wear Mask
2020-06-02Three Principles of Choice of Masks
2020-06-022020 Situation of Mask Market
2020-06-17What other preventative measures can you take to protect yourself from airborne substances?
2020-06-08The Advantage of Disposable Face Masks
2020-06-093 Ply Disposable Face Mask & Soft & Comfortable Ear Loop
2020-06-17What are the regulations for surgical face masks?
2020-06-09Do I need to wear a face mask if I am quarantined?