Fabric Face Mask Vs Medical Mask: Who Should Wear What And Where
Coronavirus prevention: Both medical mask and fabric face masks are an important preventive measure for COVID-19. In a recent video released by the World Health Organization, it has been explained who should wear which kind of mask and where. Medical mask are single-use masks which need to be duly discarded every day, while fabric masks are re-usable. Fabric face masks need to be washed with warm water after every use. There are a few guidelines that need to be followed while wearing the mask, which we will discuss later in the article.
COVID-19: Who should wear which mask, how and when
The type of mask that one is using depends on the level of protection they are looking at and their underlying conditions. "In public places where social distancing is being maintained fabric/homemade masks can be used, the only thing important here is that the mask should have at least four to five layers of fine fabric (preferably cotton), that has pores for air to filter," says Dr Viny Kantroo, Respiratory Medicine Specialist, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals.
He goes on to add that in places where a distance of two metres cannot be maintained, a medical mask is required. At hospitals or people catering to the patients a medical mask is a must, he asserts.
Medical masks are also known as surgical masks. According to WHO, they need to be worn by:
- Health care workers
- People who have COVID-19 symptoms
- Those who are taking care of someone suspected or confirmed with COVID-19.
In areas where COVID-19 is widespread, and physical distancing of at least one metre cannot be achieved, medical masks should be worn by:
- People who are aged 60 years or older
- Those who have underlying health conditions
Fabric face masks
These face masks are also known as non-medical masks. They should be worn by:
- People who have no COVID-19 symptoms
- Where COVID-19 is widespread
- Physical distancing of at least one metre cannot be achieved
- People who are in close contact with others such as social workers, cashiers and servers.
- Fabric face masks must also be considered in busy settings like when travelling in public transport like buses, shared taxis, and trains, in workplaces, in grocery stores and other crowded environments, mentions the video shared by WHO.
Guidelines to follow for wearing mask
- The mask should fit you properly. It should cover your nose, mouth and chin.
- The mask should neither be too loose not too tight. It should be breathable.
- Avoid touching the outer surface of mask when outside.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub, before wearing the mask.
- Discard single-use medical mask into a closed bin.
- Wash fabric face mask with warm water and soap after single-time use.
- Fabric face mask should not wet or dirty.
2022-04-26Are air purifiers environmentally friendly ?
2022-04-26The importance of wearing a mask correctly
2022-04-27Connexions Air H13 True HEPA Filters
2022-04-29What is the use of anion function of air purifier？
2022-05-08Standardize the wearing of masks, children should not be missed!
2022-05-16Hazy days, air purifiers are useful?
2022-05-16Attention everyone! Don't buy fake FFP2 masks! How do we identify?
2022-05-17Pay attention to secondary pollution when using air purifiers
2022-05-17TOP5 pollutants that the purifier can purify
2020-06-02Why do Face Masks Matter With This Coronavirus
2020-06-02How to Wear Mask
2020-06-02Three Principles of Choice of Masks
2020-06-022020 Situation of Mask Market
2020-06-17What other preventative measures can you take to protect yourself from airborne substances?
2020-06-08The Advantage of Disposable Face Masks
2020-06-093 Ply Disposable Face Mask & Soft & Comfortable Ear Loop
2020-06-17What are the regulations for surgical face masks?
2020-06-09Do I need to wear a face mask if I am quarantined?